Pain management – programme content
Natural solutions for pain
This pain management programme is intended to be used as a complementary medical method of taking control of your level of pain through understand and addressing areas that cause exacerbation of symptoms, this may be stress, anxiety, frustration and “fighting” against it, as well as learning methods to reduce it.
This programme is particularly beneficial for those with Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, Arthritis, migraines, irritable bowel or other digestive complaints and chronic conditions that cannot be "cured" but the impact they have on your emotional and physical self can be greatly lessened.
This course is not intended to be a replacement for medication or medical advice or your regular physical therapy. But if during the course of the programme you find that you feel it is appropriate to adjust your medication then this must always be done through your prescribing doctor.
Pre course assessment
It is important to have thorough background information so we both get clarity on what exactly you are struggling with and what needs addressing to ensure a positive outcome.
This is your one to one assessment, during this assessment we will not only be taking a look at your health and pain history, but how you are doing in your life emotionally and physically, and your level of happiness and satisfaction with that. This is important because even though you pain may have begun as an injury, your predisposition for it to become chronic lies in the impact your life experiences have had on you emotionally. Pain can also come entirely from an emotional event.
For group classes or online sessions this assessment involves the completion of a number of questionnaires followed by a phone conversation.
Areas of assessment;
1. General health, happiness and satisfaction in all areas of your life
2. Medical diagnosis, symptom and treatment details
3. Timeline of significant life events and health issues.
4. Emotional awareness exercise
5. Anxiety and stress assessment
You can't not do something by trying not to do it, you need to do something else instead. This session will not only enable you to get a clear understanding of your pain and it's triggers and emotional and behavioural cycles, but then most importantly you will begin learning how to switch it off.
What we cover in this session;
1. Understanding and identifying your pain and the different ways it can be triggered and manifest itself in your body and your emotional state and the part it plays in your survival mechanism.
2. Understanding cue /thought / feeling / behaviour cycles and the part the unconscious and the conscious mind play in these cycles and therefore your day to day experiences.
3. How to break the cycles with breathing / relaxation / imagination exercises
4. The power of the breath in switching off pain and anxiety
5. Breathing exercises
5. Intro to positivity journaling to enhance and track progress.
To practise the breathing recording and if in doubt breathe out.
Completion of Cue /thought /feeling /behaviour cycle charts
Choose a journal ready for next week.
Whatever your mind can conceive and believe, it will achieve... Setting out your outcomes from a positive perspective.
1. Explore learnings from your homework task of recognising your negative cycles including any benefits of the breathing exercises had in changing your experience..
2. Comfort zones; exploring what you are already doing that you enjoy or are comfortable with and what challenges you have. Examining what your mind and body is doing in these different situations.
3. Be certain of what you do want. Looking at what you want in your life and what benefits getting your pain sorted will bring. Including putting this in your journal.
4. Accessing your positive states by creating a positive anchor so you can access those feelings time and time again.
5. Intro to the benefits of relaxation as an invaluable skill to learn as it is the foundation to creating a calm and health body and mind as well as to the many of the other techniques we use including hypnosis.
Practice the progressive relaxation recording
Continue using the breath as a tool for calmness and exiting cycles.
Stacking up your positive anchor
Tracking your aims and successes in the journal
It is impossible to be calm and relaxed and to be anxious at the same time!
This week we are focussing on the power relaxation has to control the chemical activity in the brain and to calm your mind, body and over sensitive pain mechanism, and how we can use it to change how we experience situations.
1. Look back at the homework tasks and the positive benefits you are already experiencing.
2. Going back to the comfort zones, creating a list of the situations you have been finding difficult that you are wanting to overcome, easiest to hardest.
3. Learning the benefits of self awareness in making positive changes, and how using relaxation you can switch off the negative programmes and form new more positive ones.
4. Creating an action plan by setting goals and activities including facing those in your uncomfortable zone
5. Using a desensitisation hypnosis technique to change the way you respond.
To use the desensitisation hypnosis recording to assist you in achieving some of your goals.
Continue with your positivity journal, anchoring and relaxation and breathing exercises.These should now be becoming part of your daily life.
Mindfulness - being in the moment with awareness and acceptance of what is with peace and without judgement.
We all do it especially if we doubt our health or capabilities: looking ahead and imagine something bad happening, that never does. Ruminating of past situations, could we have said or done it differently seeing different scenarios. This type of thinking is exhausting and stresses the brain and body out, learning not to do this therefore has immense benefits to our physical and emotional state.
1. Understanding mindfulness and how it can benefit you.
2. Being self aware and the difference between reacting and responding.
3. Different ways of being mindful; movement, meditation, paying attention.
4. Giving up the fight, when we are faced with a negative feeling we often try to fight it in the hope it will get rid of it. When we learn to let go of the fight with peace and without judgement, we have stepped into a caring nurturing environment, where we can listen and work with our body rather than against it.
5. Mindfulness hypnosis
Practicing mindfulness exercises and recording
Using your journal to track new responses when you are able to be mindful.
Building confidence - Living your life with confidence
You will already be well on your way to feeling calmer and more relaxed in both body and mind, your pain levels should be more under your control and you have a number of ways to exit any negative cycles should they appear.
1. Discuss how using mindfulness exercises and activities changed how you responded emotionally and physically to everyday situations
2. Reassess what you have done and where you are at now, what is now feeling much better and what still needs to change.
3. Using memories and your imagination accessing how and when you have experienced a sense of confidence.
4. The importance of true belief and evidence, plus reaffirming it with affirmations.
5. Confidence hypnosis to ensure you truly believe in your capabilities in current and future situations.
Practice confidence recording and using the techniques to create positive expectation of each days activities, including those on your action plan and physical wellbeing.
Of course continuing with all the other activities as these should now be becoming second nature.
Self care and some other great exercises
In this last session we will be taking a holistic view on what else we can do to create a good and healthy environment for our body to heal and thrive.
1. What have you learnt and how will you keep going to ensure you keep improving and remain well.
2. All things in balance, food, sleep, fun, exercise.
3. What else is your mind capable of...more great exercises.
4. loving kindness meditation to achieve the necessary internal environment for health, happiness and contentment.
5. 7 simple steps to keep you on track.
6. addressing any further issues.
To live a life of health and happiness and just like you would if you had been in physical training, know that if you keep these basic exercises up you will remain as well as you can be.